The Trinidad Civic Club

About Us

The Trinidad Civic Club, founded in 1913, is a member of the California Federation of Women's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs, International.  This non-profit organization consists of approximately forty members dedicated to volunteerism and community service.

Fundraising and Service

We fund two scholarships, one academic and one vocational, through our annual bake sale at the Trinidad Fish Festival. We raise money for the Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for foster children in the court system. We also provide books to winners of the Student of the Month programs at Trinidad and Big Lagoon Schools.

Stewardship

We are stewards of the Memorial Lighthouse, built in 1949, where over 230 names are inscribed.  The names honor people who are buried at sea, as well as fishermen and Coast Guardsmen who were lost at sea.  We conduct a ceremony on Memorial Day weekend to honor those commemorated at the site.  

Civic Club Accomplishments

We contribute in a number of other local community organizations and have a long history of community service and contributions to Trinidad:

 

  • 1913 Founded the Ladies Civic Club of Trinidad 1913 Granite cross on Trinidad Head placed by County Federation of Women’s Clubs 
  • 1913 Bought piano and began maintenance of Trinidad Cemetery
  • 1915 Established Trinidad Library
  • 1917 Advocated for & designed the Town Hall
  • 1920 Donations: Street lighting/brush removal on Trinidad Head 
  • 1928 Paid for Tennis Court construction/Projects for Trinidad School  
  • 1948 City Fire Department organized 
  • 1949 Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse dedicated 
  • 1955 Advocated for Trinidad State Beach Park 
  • 1958 Selected name for Scenic Drive 
  • 1970 Anchor added to Memorial Lighthouse 
  • 1972 Saved the Trinidad Library from closing 
  • 1974 25th Anniversary of Lighthouse (top painted red) 
  • 1975 “Lost at Sea” Memorial at Lighthouse  
  • 1975 Library moved to the Presbyterian Church from Town Hall
  • 1976 Bingo games on Friday nights (Major fundraiser for years!) 
  • 1977 McKinleyville High School Scholarship program started 
  • 1979 Donation for new fire truck & equipment 
  • 1995 Sunday Memorial Service started to commemorate names  on plaques 
  • 1997 Memorial Lighthouse top replaced 
  • 2001 Built Commercial Kitchen & refurbished Civic Club Room 
  • 2004 Own & manage Town Hall Steinway piano 
  • 2006 Refurbished Town Hall Women’s Bathroom 
  • 2009 Trinidad Museum completed
  • 2013 New Trinidad Library building completed 
  • 2017 Campaign for Memorial Lighthouse Preservation